The program, along with The Magic Flute Children’s Chorus, will run throughout the upcoming regional tour around Australia.
Ten students from each community will have the opportunity to take an individual audition with an Opera Australia appointed Chorus Master.
The four successful students will receive a scholarship prize consisting of:
- music, acting and movement workshops with industry leaders
- vocal coaching with Opera Australia’s experienced coaches and repetiteurs
- 2 tickets to see an Opera Australia performance at the Sydney Opera House
- an exclusive behind the scenes tour of The Opera Centre Sydney and the iconic Sydney Opera House
- the chance to perform an aria for Opera Australia’s Artistic Director, Lyndon Terracini, at the end of their week’s scholarship.
Additionally, they will receive:
- 2 x return flights from their nearest regional centre to Sydney (for recipient and guardian)
- 5 x nights accommodation in a serviced apartment in Sydney for two
- a meal allowance for each night in linewith industry standard.
As well, The Magic Flute Children’s Chorus offers each community the tour will visit the opportunity to engage a local chorus of up to 24 children between 9 and 14 years of age to feature as the chorus in the new production ofThe Magic Flute, directed by Michael Gow.
A local choir leader will be provided with all the materials required to train the children beforehand and be given support and assistance as needed.
No more than two weeks before the performance, a Director and Chorus Master will travel to each town to rehearse the children into the performance.
The regional tour takes in 26 communities and runs from July to September.