West Australian Opera has cancelled the following:
• Star Navigator, 28 March, Perth Concert Hall
• Opera in the Pinnacles, 4 April, Nambung National Park
• Opera in Geraldton, 5 April, Queens Park Theatre
• All school workshops
• Community workshops
• Wesfarmers Arts Singing Classes
We are closely monitoring this situation and it is likely that there will be further cancellations. We will issue further updates as those decisions are made.
Ticket holders will be contacted by ticketing providers to arrange refunds.
The health, safety and wellbeing of our patrons, artists and staff is our priority. Thank you for your understanding and please take care of yourself and your communities.
Carolyn Chard AM, Executive Director, West Australian Opera said "These are extremely difficult times as we cancel performances but we urgently need to do what we can to flatten the curve. The health, safety and wellbeing of our patrons and employees is our priority.
"But please remember how much we will need you, our stakeholders and audiences, our funders, our donors, sponsors and partners when our theatres reopen. We need you to see our shows. Go to the opera. Go to the theatre. Go to our concert halls. Support your arts community when we all recover from this. The arts need you ... and you need the arts. People in the arts are driven by creativity. It’s our passion and our purpose. What we do matters because the arts matter and when we can’t do our job it hurts financially, artistically, emotionally.
"If you are isolating at home please engage with the arts; listen to music, read a book, dance, watch a film, stream an opera. Art has the power to connect us in difficult times. Look at the Italians singing in quarantine from their apartment balconies and think of the power of music to nurture the soul; I’m reminded of Verdi’s quote “I adore art... when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear.”
• Please refer here to the Australian Government regarding non-essential gatherings of 500 people or more.
• Please refer to Perth Concert Hall and His Majesty’s Theatre for information about the venues.
• Please refer here to read West Australian Opera FAQs around cancellations.