Across the nation, from small country towns to the suburbs of major cities, performing arts companies and venues play their part as a hub for community growth and development.
- In 2015, 4.1 million people attended a performance, school activity or workshop by the major performing arts companies —an increase of 270,000 on 2014.
- The MPAs also provide free outdoor performances individually and within major city festivals, as well as special artist talks, behind the scenes events, free ticket performance days for the unwaged and free live remote telecasts of mainstage performances.
- MPAs’ initiatives to build access for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and programs for older people have both more than doubled since 2010.
- Programs directed towards people living with a disability have more than trebled in that time.
- Initiatives targeting other segments of our population including children, youth and early career artists have also grown steadily as have regional initiatives.
Close to 566,000 school children and teachers attended education activities for schools, of which more than 160,000 were from regional and remote Australia. Education and workshop attendances increased on 2014 figures in both regional and metropolitan areas.
The major performing arts companies are active participants in their communities, running joint performances, access and education programs, workshops, classes, lectures and seminars.
They generate social cohesion. They reflect and develop our national identity. They capture our stories. And they inspire insight into who we are—as individuals and as communities.
Community engagement is also about building relationships in particular segments of a community—which can stimulate stronger social inclusion, greater mutual understanding as well as extent support to people who are vulnerable or facing particular challenges.
Read more about how the companies engage with communities, and the great work they do right across the nation.
Accessing the Arts
See our page Arts Access for more information.